- Harvested grain is placed into the hopper of the oil press. (click for video)
- Grain moves through a thermostatically heated auger where a majority of the oil is pressed out of the seed (residual oil left in meal is dependent on many factors; quality of seed, moisture content, temperature, etc.) (click for video)
- The pressed oil falls into a pan and then through a screen.
- What's left of the seed is then expelled from the oil press as high protein livestock feed (meal or cake). (click for video)
- The oil is then pumped into a processing tank.
- Methanol and Potassium Hydroxide (lye) are added and then circulated.
- The oil is left to settle (8 hours approx.) and the impurities (glycerins) are filtered out.
- Finally, the processor cleans the 100% veg oil with a water wash system leaving you with 100% ASTM standard biodiesel that's ready to fuel your fleet of vehicles.
You can view much of this process in video form here.